The day I jammed with Jonathan Coulton at Virgin radio
Friday, March 21, 2008
It all started with Geoff Lloyd's posting on my wall on Facebook...that I should check Jonathan Coulton guy that sings quirky songs. So I did. I loved him. Then, as luck would have it and as I said to someone recently while I remembered why I love London…one can hear any obscure band somewhere and they will be playing in London soon…so Crash and I decided to catch up after a long while and see Jonathan Coulton.
Then I got an invite from Geoff for podcast recording with the very same Jonathan Coulton the very same day, lunchtime. I said yes. Geoff…who is somewhat of a rebel, played Jonathan’s song Zombies on the radio few weeks back, just because he felt like it and that was the beginning. So the plan was that we were invited to play with Jonathan and each of us would get an instrument to play. I have an awful cold but the day was just perfect. Everyone was so down to Earth and yet so colourful and fun and us, the chosen bunch were also cool and it all worked out perfectly. Nelson (the producer), later discussed this with us and we thought it would be great to discover new bands and do the same thing over and over.
This is how it happened….
Jonathan arrives a bit late due to traffic...
We get given instruments....Geoff greets everyone and tells me that weird thing on his back finally fell off after the doctor advised him to just leave it.
I get the best instrument from Anabell...weird looking thing with pricetag still attached. Upon asking Geoff if we can keep the instruments, he says; "Absolutely not."
Jonathan comes out and instructs us how to incorporate the percussion instruments in his songs.
Geoff and Anabell really put the effort in to sound professional...
Then we had a fun game of guessing and Q and A with Geoff, Anabell and Nelson.
Geoff poses with everyone...
And this is Jonathan Coulton, playing an amazing double set in Camden. Greatest gig I have been to in a long while.
This whole thing was just so much fun. It made me think about what I would miss and what opportunities London has to offer that other towns would never be able to.
Click to listen to my day and hear me sing Zombies and play an ethnic looking rattle
Then I got an invite from Geoff for podcast recording with the very same Jonathan Coulton the very same day, lunchtime. I said yes. Geoff…who is somewhat of a rebel, played Jonathan’s song Zombies on the radio few weeks back, just because he felt like it and that was the beginning. So the plan was that we were invited to play with Jonathan and each of us would get an instrument to play. I have an awful cold but the day was just perfect. Everyone was so down to Earth and yet so colourful and fun and us, the chosen bunch were also cool and it all worked out perfectly. Nelson (the producer), later discussed this with us and we thought it would be great to discover new bands and do the same thing over and over.
This is how it happened….
Jonathan arrives a bit late due to traffic...
We get given instruments....Geoff greets everyone and tells me that weird thing on his back finally fell off after the doctor advised him to just leave it.
I get the best instrument from Anabell...weird looking thing with pricetag still attached. Upon asking Geoff if we can keep the instruments, he says; "Absolutely not."
Jonathan comes out and instructs us how to incorporate the percussion instruments in his songs.
Geoff and Anabell really put the effort in to sound professional...
Then we had a fun game of guessing and Q and A with Geoff, Anabell and Nelson.
Geoff poses with everyone...
And this is Jonathan Coulton, playing an amazing double set in Camden. Greatest gig I have been to in a long while.This whole thing was just so much fun. It made me think about what I would miss and what opportunities London has to offer that other towns would never be able to.
Click to listen to my day and hear me sing Zombies and play an ethnic looking rattle

















5 Comments:
Who the fuck is Geoff?
Who the fuck taught you to swear like this? Radio 4?
Oh, the thought of Melvyn Bragg talking dirty...
I think you should rename this post into Gingerworld.
Sounds like the podcast was a lot of fun, and the gig was excellent
Ginger is the new black....
Yes, recording was great fun. Lots of really cool people and Geoff is as mad in real life.
Post a Comment
<< Home