Complicated emotion
Sunday, December 18, 2005
I think today was the day that I truly experienced a complicated emotion.
This is how it started...
Heating broke again few days ago. Since Thursday I called about 50 plumbers, most of whom never rang me back. Occasional Corgi registered guy gives his home number, making his wife, battling with 3 kids in the background, answer the phone. For a moment I am delirious only to be told that her husband is busy for several months.
I have branched out too, I surf the net for plumbing websites, look at boilers and imagine how they would look in my garage...working.
Yesterday I rang such plumbing supplies company and some poor guy that answered, called Ian, heard me pour my heart out. But I walked out of that conversation much smarter. I now know that I need condensing system boiler and that my 2 or 3 point valve might also need replacing. We have not been able to establish whether my gas flue is horizontal or vertical despite Ian holding on for 10 minutes whilst I climbed and inspected my boiler for exit pipes. But I know that it is hidden within the boiler itself.
Ian gave me a lesson in how much all these things cost, how long will it take to do them and what I should ask the tradesmen when they come. I now know to ask for Corgi registration card, and not to just accept that people advertising that in Yellow Pages have it.
I have the knowledge, I feel totally prepared for anything except for the fact that I cannot get the bloody plumber out.
So I decide, as it looks that this will take some time...to buy a temporary radiator.
So I do. I haven't exactly paid attention to what its dimensions were and I bring home an infant. The box wasn't so big but when it came out it was evident it will do nothing for us. But I would not admit it at first and Sanja and I sat around the miniature thing hoping to get warm. Sanja kindly pointed out that the only thing this radiator was capable of heating up was my airing cupboard.
I mean, in the bloody catalogue, every radiator was the same size, fooling me into false sense of belief that this is all I need.
At that, we started laughing so much that we were crazy for a moment. I added that we are really done if this diddy thing breaks down too and this made us even more hysterical. I stared laughing so much that all of a sudden it turned to me crying hysterically, then back to me laughing, then crying, then laughing....so on and so forth.
I've never experienced such an emotion before, the hysteria totally overtook me. I now have an understanding what Marlin meant by 'complicated emotion'.
I mean, I can't be blamed either, I slept with my gloves on last night.
Oli and Sanja are not taking the situation at all seriously. Oli kept on saying: "Sanja, step away from the furnace..." yet Sanja is quickly moving out over Christmas, abandoning the sinking ship like a cunning rat.
And I am still battling between laughing and sobbing uncontrollably, it is still touch and go.

















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home