Jokerdoku
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
After having a lazy afternoon, which was not supposed to turn out like that but instead, I was to start on my assignment about psychodynamic perspective and unconscious motives...
Having arranged to meet Oli later, I decided to go hunting for shoes. Several shops and tried pairs later I see red Kickers in the chaviest shop around. I knew I was going to have them straight away but something told me that maybe I should also try black ones, just to be normal and boring.
Guy brings red and black ones with red stitching, apologises to me for not having the right size in black stitching, and says that this is better, since I clearly love red and black, I could have black ones with red stitching and laces, combining the best of both worlds.
I say, no, you see, if I went for black with red, I would not be able to wear green and blue, which I love and wear a lot, so basically I am settling for boring shoes that will go with very little, and I ask him; " Do you know what I mean?"
He looks at me with one of those wondering looks one would shoot someone from Jupiter and he says politely: " I know exactly what you mean." You could tell he didn't though...
Red Kickers later...I buy tons of great beads to make an ultimate necklace, which turns out to be more expensive than if I bought it in silver, let alone beads.
Then I think, I will polish this trip by buying Oli a nice top, having always got way better presents from him than what I bought him.
I enter Urban Outfitters, known for their ability to have something for everyone and knowing how fussy Oli is about clothes, I immediately seek some assistance.
I smile politely at a handsome man working there and he smiles back and I tell him I am looking for something for a friend that is very fussy. He asks what did I have in mind and I explain: " Something trendy, yet not too trendy, nice colour but not strong, maybe stripes, but pale, green and blue only. Nothing plain, chavy, with gaudy labels, tartan prints, purple, pink or red in it, nothing with trendy writing on it, nothing too indeed, nothing too serious, bright colours out of the question..."
He listens and he thinks and he takes me through the shop to the furthest wall, the furthest shelf and he pulls out a black polo T-shirt.
He sees my face and he motions 'no'. I motion it back and meet Oli without a nice top.
Then later in Starbucks, one unsuccessful Sudoku later, and Oli ripping a 9 out of the grid because we could not make it fit, I came up with the idea of Sudoku but with joker numbers that could be anything from 1 to 9. It would be so much more fun and it would give stupid people a chance at it.
I name it Jokerdoku.
Details of how it is played yet to be refined...

















3 Comments:
I would like to add that I was merely spectating during the suduko, cheering from the sidelines offering words of encouragment.
I never mess up suduko, your blog will make me the laughing stock of the puzzle world.
Ha ha ha.
The Puzzler
ripping out a 9 from the grid?? that's a bit like peeling off the colours of a rubiks cube!!
Post a Comment
<< Home