Martina


Links
- Home
-Dream Story
- My World
-Pictures
-Poetry



Friends
- BC
- Ivan
- Stephen
- Tigga
- Pete's Big Dog
- Che
- Petra
- Ben
- Wonderful jewelry
Previous Posts
Plumbing story (part 4 I think?)
Life aquatic
Sweet'n'low
Driving over Miss Daisy
Dating game
What they didn't tell you about the Balkans...
Love thy neighbour
How one single girl got Orla Kiely bag
Complicated emotion
Plumbing story et al...

Archives
09.2005
10.2005
11.2005
12.2005
01.2006
02.2006
03.2006
04.2006
05.2006
06.2006
07.2006
08.2006
09.2006
10.2006
11.2006
12.2006
01.2007
03.2007
04.2007
05.2007
06.2007
07.2007
08.2007
11.2007
12.2007
02.2008
03.2008
04.2008
05.2008
06.2008
08.2008
11.2008
05.2009
12.2009


 


The Dream Story

Constituents of a perfect date?

Sunday, March 19, 2006
What constitutes a perfect date? Is it the fact that they turn up and they look perfect, are perfect, know how to entertain us with their wit, have certain depth, are capable of holding an interesting conversation, have the same interests as us, read the same books, like the same music, think the same things....
I had one of those dates today that mark something in you, they open this whole new chapter to yourself and once it is open, it can never be what it was again, it's written.
This guy way perfect. Perfect in my eyes, anyway. There was not a flaw to him I could tangibly find. He was 6'2, slim, with long limbs, freckles on his arms, slight ginger gene, those huge, blue engaging eyes, amazing hands (all attributes that I go for physically, however fucked up that sounds) and that fragile disposition, almost gay quality I so love in men.
He has a PhD in Psychology, is smart, unpretentious, attentive, kind, well read and funny. He also came dressed the way I would dress a man, a quality that always helps if nothing else...and ultimately, he was Scottish (why do you think I bank with First Direct). He could not have been drawn better for me.

What's more, he reminded me of Vince from The Mighty Boosh (on the right), and all my friends know by now that Vince does it for me.
And yet I knew within 10 minutes that it will never happen. And I just went quiet, I was heartbroken. Not because of the fact that this date was going to be futile but because there was someone so perfectly what I want in my mind and yet there was something intangible, something elusive that he did not posses and I could not even explain it to you now. So we walked around the gallery in silence and I was thinking....this will take ages, should I just come out and say how I feel and ask him to cut it short? I couldn't do that, it would be so inappropriate and I could never do it with ruthlessness it requires.
Then I started to entertain the thought of getting lost and slipping away, which I know is even worse but it was so appealing...then I thought he'd ring me and think I was lost.
So I sat through a drink and a chat, which was not at all traumatising as some experiences I had, but I could not look at him, every time I did it reminded me of this void inside, this perfection that came empty.

Then I asked myself...what the fuck do I want, what will it take for me to fall in love?

Last week I found myself at the party and I went to sit down to eat my food alone on the sofa when I was approached by this guy. He came over in one single sequence, made a beeline for me and he said: " I came to get my drink, I think I left it here."
All while I was staring at the drink he was holding, the one he brought with him, and besides, there was nothing on the table by my side.
Seeing me watching his glass, he said: " OK, so that was obviously a lie, I came to talk to you." And the click was so loud I think people heard it in Zanzibar.
And on some level, I know that this guy, who by the way had no points for attributes mentioned above, is probably a smooth operator and will forget about calling me next week as he promised and he was not even that deep, but there was this quirkiness to him, some silliness that trandescend boundaries of age and there was a decisiveness with which he knew I was it for him, if only for a night...whatever happens past that moment is immaterial, but there was something there, he managed to saturate me in a single moment and I don't know why or how that happend.
And that is all I thought about when I was talking with this perfect guy, I was thinking how no matter what he does or says, he will never have that moment with me.
What does that say about me...that I only go for guys that are skilled at pulling women? No, it was something more than that there, something that no reasonable explanation will ever be able to elucidate.
And since this is the first time that I ever consciously connected such a thought, I cast my mind back to evaluate everyone that I had or might have had this with...
Am I talking about attraction...I don't know...it wasn't as if I wasn't attracted to him, it was more complex than that. Was it how he made me feel? Again, I don't know.
And then I thought...if the beginning is so hard, and the rest matters even more, how do people even get together?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home