Martina


Links
- Home
-Dream Story
- My World
-Pictures
-Poetry



Friends
- BC
- Ivan
- Stephen
- Tigga
- Pete's Big Dog
- Che
- Petra
- Ben
- Wonderful jewelry
Previous Posts
Driving over Miss Daisy
Dating game
What they didn't tell you about the Balkans...
Love thy neighbour
How one single girl got Orla Kiely bag
Complicated emotion
Plumbing story et al...
Gina
That moment...
'Break a wrist, walk away' ( a Rex-quan-do day...)

Archives
09.2005
10.2005
11.2005
12.2005
01.2006
02.2006
03.2006
04.2006
05.2006
06.2006
07.2006
08.2006
09.2006
10.2006
11.2006
12.2006
01.2007
03.2007
04.2007
05.2007
06.2007
07.2007
08.2007
11.2007
12.2007
02.2008
03.2008
04.2008
05.2008
06.2008
08.2008
11.2008
05.2009
12.2009


 


The Dream Story

Sweet'n'low

Thursday, February 02, 2006

New Year resolutions I made were very few, such as wearing more make up, armed myself with Chanell blusher, because I came to believe that everything that is expensive must also make you pretty, it is mandatory...wearing skirts and attempting heels.
Also I was toying with the idea of giving up artificial sweetener. It all started with that mouthy girl in Starbucks. I was asking for ice blended soya latte and was giving her 4 sachets of sweet'n'low to blend into it as the ice makes it hard to saturate it well, and she looked me straight in the eye, no trepidation, and she said:" Didn't you hear, sweetener makes you fat, it has been proven by scientists."
Actually, no, that is not strictly true, it does not make you fat, it has no calories, how can it, but I had no heart to tell her that I read the same article in the Metro as her and that they have to put it in simple words in order for their readers to understand and instantly fear such claims, simple and efficient.
The theory behind sweetener and obesity is that you ingest it and due to its sweet taste, your brain registers that some food is being eaten, and it thinks it is sugar, the optimal food, but after a while, it also registers that there is no nutritional or energetic value to it and it freaks out, gets mad and wants to get even. This is where you start feeling pre menstrual and you go mad on chocolate and it is caused by your humble wish to not be a fatty. But on its own, it does not make you fat, it just makes you eat chocolate later, which makes you fat.
But my idea is that sugar should not be ingested if it's not in the shape of chocolate of some sort of sinful concoction, such as cola bottles or penny sweets, so I was a big lover of sweetener...until this girl made me feel like shit.
It was not what she said that hurt me, but maybe because I knew how artificial sweetener manipulates me, how it causes cancer, and I still loved it, and to my shock horror I found myself lying to Starbucks girl, saying that I know all that but I have no choice as I am diabetic.

I tried many ways of weaning myself off it, such as using one less sachet each time but it never works, it just makes me mad.
So I thought, maybe I should make this New Year resolution...no more sweetener, go cold turkey (a fine idiom) and see how that goes.
Five days on, I am still going strong although I have come to hate my drinks.
But I think that, like everything in life, when you want something and you go for it and you do your best to adapt in order to have it, it works...
And if the Starbucks girl was right, I am expecting to wear bikini by summer....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home