Martina


Links
- Home
-Dream Story
- My World
-Pictures
-Poetry



Friends
- BC
- Ivan
- Stephen
- Tigga
- Pete's Big Dog
- Che
- Petra
- Ben
- Wonderful jewelry
Previous Posts
Unconspicuous suicide bomber...
Jokerdoku
Hair by Tigi....
Constituents of a perfect date?
Plumbing story (part 4 I think?)
Life aquatic
Sweet'n'low
Driving over Miss Daisy
Dating game
What they didn't tell you about the Balkans...

Archives
09.2005
10.2005
11.2005
12.2005
01.2006
02.2006
03.2006
04.2006
05.2006
06.2006
07.2006
08.2006
09.2006
10.2006
11.2006
12.2006
01.2007
03.2007
04.2007
05.2007
06.2007
07.2007
08.2007
11.2007
12.2007
02.2008
03.2008
04.2008
05.2008
06.2008
08.2008
11.2008
05.2009
12.2009


 


The Dream Story

Alpha vs Beta

Sunday, April 23, 2006

" Darling, you are so bossy and determined, you will never find a husband", was what my mother used to say to me when I was little.
Despite that I managed to marry and divorce a reasonably nice man that loved me with such force and devotion that now I am finding it hard to settle for anything else plus whatever was missing that made it fall apart.

Having recently read an article by a husband of a prominent reporter, giving away the secrets of how to handle an alpha female, it made me think deep and hard about some of his points, which I consider not only chauvinistic but utterly inane as well as condenscending.
His advice was, in no particular order and what I can remember:
1.Never give in to her
2.Disagree with her often, challenge her opinions, tell her she is talking crap, they love it...
3.Don't answer questions about your whereabouts
4.Don't pay her compliments...
And other garbage of similar content...He also went to explain a bit about his relationship, how he was acting erratic and so on, but he knew she was not going to get rid of him because he was young, handsome and was giving her plenty of sex.
I can sort of get the sex reference, as someone who has had to live without it for a while, but still...
He also made a reference to beta males, the sensitive ones, the ones that listen and try to understand women and consider a relationship as 'us' rather than 'me and her', or in more general terms, 'us' (as in men) and 'them' (as in us, women).
What is a beta male anyway, the mere term is rather derogatory as in something of lesser value to an alpha male, and why is it so difficult to balance the relationship when the alpha-beta roles are reversed?
Having enjoyed years of decision making in my alpha-beta relationship, choosing furniture, carpets, wall colours, tiles...when my friends were arguing with their partners about similar issues...I hit the dead end. The power I enjoyed did not come cheap. With any position of power, one takes responsibility for the fall too.
And not having the experience of knowing how to rule, I suddenly found myself having to get everything done myself instead of successfully delegating duties.
But how much is that to do with him and how much was it to do with the dynamic we had, one I created equally by wanting to have control over everything?
Is a person always the same person with everyone, or are we a product of our own making as much as we are a product of others treating us in a certain manner, adapting all the time, however subliminally?
There are boundaries, and if we don't see them, is it not human to run free as far as we can?

One of my friends recently spoke how she always dates people she finds dull after a while. Having challenged her on that, asking why she seeks people like that when she knows the ensuing outcome, she admitted that with someone like herself, she would find life unbearable.
I fear that too, to a certain degree but equally I yearn to be with an equal, and I don't see that in terms of alpha-beta, alpha-alpha combinations.
Is beta male always an easy going guy that is co dependant and needy? Is alpha male always a good provider and someone that is strong?
Suicides among such men would prove otherwise.
Is it in the balance and what each one of us needs to get out of a relationship instead as well as how we position ourselves when it comes to living with or loving another?


To read the recipe for handling an alpha female is like reading 'The rules', a book which teaches women to manipulate men in order to be treated well and win a man.
But even if you do, do you really win a man or do you just win that particular game, and once that game bores him, he will seek entertainment somewhere else?

2 Comments:

Blogger odie said...

Ok, a little perspective on this...

The rules are:
1. There are no rules
2. There is no such thing as a perfect relationship
3. There is no such thing as a perfect combination / match
4. You should not expect another to remedy your own shortcomings.
5. If you have no shortcomings, you are perfect, and so do not need another.
6. We are all imperfect, so all need another.
7. There is no such thing as always.
8. Things get boring if they always stay the same.
9. Nothing stays the same for always.
10.Who gives a monkeys so long as the sex is good?

12:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Martina,

I hope you well. Interesting blog, I have similar problem with first marriage. He was complete obsessed with me and very possessive to point I could not buy socks without have to justify why and for who I buy them. OK I know he adore me but that is not good enough was like being under surveillance all the time. I made all the decisions why he sat around and whined about things. This was definitely Alpha-Beta relationship but was very unhealthy thing as he was so dependent.

I now know new marriage will work as we are much better balanced. He has strong opinions but so have I. We both have confidence each other will not stray so we are not so possessive of each other. Im still strong but my unhealthy anger is diminished. I might even submit to having a mobile phone. Whether I switch it on is another matter. I even learn to drive but this is not good thing for me or the World.

Im honoured that you permit me to comment on your beautiful blogspot. This is wonderful site, so thoughtful.

Jing ai,

Xue Ping

2:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home