Not even sure how to title this...
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
This incident shook me to the core and shattered my belief that children are not only fun but wonderful and imaginative human beings...actually, I will give the little runt monopoly on imagination. His intelligence and quick thinking stunned me, it deviated from everything I have ever seen before. It all stared with S (3 year old) being prescribed TENS machine for his leg (not to go into much detail, he had surgery and extensive time in a cast, which weakened the muscles). This machine works on a system of sending electrical currents into the muscle making it to contract, thus exercising it.
Since they prescribe it for women in labour, as an effective pain relief...how bad can it be?

But the kid screams for solid 15 minutes he is prescribed to have on programme number 6 (which stops and starts for maximum shock to the muscle), level 3. Sometimes I manage to turn it up to 3 and a half and I hear such screams that it chills me.
So today, while watching Narnia in the afternoon, shocking the 3 year old and holding his hand through it, I decided, after it was all done, to try it myself, mystified by the screaming and torturous expressions...
Sitting between S (3 year old) and K (his brother, 5 year old), I attach the TENS pads to my arm.
K asks: "What are you doing." I say that I want to see what it is like. He looks calm, almost inquisitive, as if he never came upon that idea.
I turn the dial to 3, the level at which I am electrocuting the little one and feel nothing.
K looks on passively.
I say: "I feel nothing." K says in a nice voice: "That is because you are grown up, you must turn it to 7."(being the last level)
I think nothing of this and return to the dial. I made it to 4 when I get shocked, the feeling that I would not wish upon my worst enemy, the hordes of ten thousands of ants eating your arm alive...that is what it felt like. I rip the pads of my arm and look at K. His little, cute face is displaying a wicked, satisfied look and he says: "Unpleasant, ha?"
I say: "Yes it was." Still looking at him smirking he says, obviously happy with himself: "I tried it. At level 7 people explode."
And he walks off laughing.
Children are supposed to be innocent, right?
I would hold it against him but then I remembered how Sanja and I tricked our neighbour, some weedy kid, that our grandma's dog was friendly and loved attention (he wasn't, in fact he hated to be touched). The kid had to be rescued...nothing serious. We also collected creepy crawlies in a box and told him it was full of ladybirds. So I guess I cannot blame the kid, I was more upset at my gullibility. And I call myself an expert.

















4 Comments:
Did you not consider re-enacting Milgram's experiments with the children as participants?
I have read about those and it astounds me that people, even in the experimental setting would have no conscience as long as someone takes the responsibility. But I'm afraid that I would not be able to re-enact that with the children in question as they are not really suitable, one condition of such participants being that they obey orders. Shame....nice thought though.
Qin ai de Martina,
I think the machine must be faulty.
I have tried TENS machine for pregnancy and mine has settings up to 10. No setting below 9 has the slightest effect on me and 10 is just a tickle so maybe a problem.
Im going for acupuncture instead or maybe bite on leather belt.
Jing ai,
Xue Ping
It could have something to do with the fact that it is for a child I guess, the number of levels.
Post a Comment
<< Home