Cairo
Thursday, June 01, 2006
click to see photos
Somebody told me right before this trip that the best way to travel is to travel alone. That way you get to meet people.
I was originally meant to do this with someone, which I think would have been perfect for this adventure. But that somehow didn't work out.
These are what some of my friends said when I suggested this trip:
"You'll be into cultural shit and I would want to get drunk and get off with hookers..." name and address witheld for legal reasons
"Suggest somewhere in Europe and I'll go." Hugo
"This is not really my thing." couple of my girlfriends
"I've already done this." Andreas
" I can't take time off work now." the rest of my friends
The thought of travelling alone was making me physically sick and it took me ages to figure out why. I associated travelling alone with loneliness, reclusiveness and those people that I tend to pity.
I know that this is purely a prejudice but I could not shake this feeling.
But the desire to see Cairo was so bad that I guess it prevailed in the end. And besides, although I was scared, I felt that the best way to float is to dive right in and see what happens, the adrenaline usually makes it all OK.
There are so many things in life that I learnt to fear and most I created inside me, so I guess that if fear is to be measured by pleasure, this was certainly going to be worth the risk.
I was persistently trying to persuade Oli to come with me by mentioning stories of rape and murders of white, tourist women but he let me go none the less.
My father got really stressed at the idea, tried to scare me with fabricated story of 14 Germans that got blown up at the pyramids supposedly last month....and when reminded that I am almost 34, he muttered to himself: "Someone has to die in the name of Allah, I guess."
I booked all the transfers when I was booking a holiday and towards the departure date, I really looked forward to going alone. I kinda felt it was going to change me in many ways.
I think that meeting people only ever works if you hit if off and I am experiencing that feeling less and less as I get older.
As I booked a guide for 3 days, I realised that our relationship will only ever work as a professional one. She was a mother of 3 kids and berated me when I got lost at the market. Having a lunch with her, and making myself indulge in small talk, I requested no lunch the next day and the next.
Last day there was a different girl, and at first I felt I will get on with her well, but her overexhuberance killed me by 2pm.
Tareek, my tour operator answered my question of whether he's married with "I am looking for a wife". He made a point turning up at my hotel every morning when there was no need for it and invited me out in his car the last day.
Karem was a driver I had, who was one of those men that I adore, smart, thoughtful, nice, gentle, funny.
He asked me if I was married or if I had a boyfriend and upon hearing me say that I haven't he had this genuine puzzled look on his face, as if I was explaining this really complicated formula and he said " I don't understand that."
Last day, we went out, just him and I and we ate falafel and talked. I already plan to go back.
I realised many things about myself. Upon getting really excited at the size of the pool, swimming for a bit and trying the pool culture of sunbathing and reading, I got bored by that within 2 hours. I then discovered cheap room service and movie channels in my room.
That didn't work quite so great the next day.
This whole trip made me realise that I fear boredom. I don't know if that is to do with the fact that I spent most of my adult life in a relationship where I felt lonely and bored mentally...and however much past remains in the past, we all are product of our past as much as we are a product of our autonomous choices and I guess that scares me, that same feeling I had, escaped from and never want to experience again.
I remember one time when I was talking to Oli and I finally conceptualized what it was that attracted me to him, and I realised that it is the fact he neither crowds me nor bores me, no matter what we do. That does not mean that I have to be engaged in some crazy activity 24/7, it is just this connection thing you have with some people and you never have with others. I met a nice couple that were on a plane with me, but my indifference towards them made me realise that it is not meeting or being with people that makes me happy, it is being with my people and meeting the right people, which is not that easy.
Cairo was totally amazing, there was this richness to it, this contrast of stark poverty and scenes of lavish splendour and extravagance.
It is also extremely rich in historic amazement and wonderful architecture.
Ever since I came back, I keep feeling this sadness that now I have seen this, London is just an ordinary, boring place that I will never love again.
Without further rambling, this is MY CAIRO TRIP

















5 Comments:
Everyone knows you can't snog hookers.
"London is just an ordinary, boring place that I will never love again."
... I find that feeling occurs whenever returning from travelling, but then the truly mundane creeps up on you to remind you why you truly love the place you're living in. The feeling of wanting to move somewhere that you've visited on holiday should probably have a proper name.
I think you will find
that 'Pretty woman' has glorified prostitution slightly. Any hard working hooker, making an honest living, such as I, will always try to accomodate the customer in every way.
You just had a bad experience, that's all. I hope you will not become too cynical and turn away from our services.
I don't think I would move to Cairo. The temperatures are high, although humidity is low so it is easier on the heart, but this gets balanced out by heavy pollution. The day when I decided to stay in town by myself and had to take normal cab home, instead of my air conditioned car and driver that knew every tiny corner of the city...I almost died sitting in the traffic. The heat makes it a must to open a window and then the fumes make you pass out. Not to mention that approximately 5 percent of cars would pass MOT, should they have one. I was bitten so viciously by mosquitos, bites I have never experienced before although I come from the country where they are rife, but these clearly evolved for maximum torture.
I just think that the intensity of every moment makes you pine badly once it is gone....
Hi Martina,
I glad you did Cairo. I find interesting place. I did some years back before I come to UK (well actually on the way here). I also did Karnak and Valley of the Kings. Great places. Love much.
Jing ai,
Xue Ping plus one
Post a Comment
<< Home